Sunday, 16 August 2015

Beginnings, Middles & Endings

Dear Reader,

    I can't do much better to point out how it really is than to point you in the direction of Joel Biroco's journal - reading down from 'Nothing Is' (February 15, 2013) on this page.
    The one thing I might add, though (right now), just to clarify & calcify & carbonize this for those of stubborn resistance, is that everything and nothing are two sides of the same coin - the idea of everything cannot exist without the idea of nothing and the concept of nothing cannot be without the concept of everything. Everything and nothing are in fact the same thing. And when I say everything I mean every thing. Every thing that ever could possibly exist in this world or dimension or any other world or dimension at any 'point' in 'time' ever. And when I say nothing I mean nothing. No thing. End of.
    But, despite all this, 'life' goes on. Until it doesn't. And so to the matter in hand...

    Some years ago words were being batted about between myself, Mark Reeve and Stream Angel on the idea of setting up a record label specifically to release an obscure audio cassette I had found in a shed-like Sumatran post office-cum-book swap shop over a decade earlier. This tape contains some astounding examples of traditional Batak music.
    For various reasons this plan never came to fruition, but it eventually dawned on me that YouTube was the perfect place for such an item to gain the recognition we all felt it deserved. So in 2014 I continued to overcome my techno-dread (a process I had started shortly before by setting up an Expose Your Eyes soundcloud) and, with the patient help of my loving partner, set up a YT channel (which I wanted to call Fiend, but had to compromise with Eye Fiend). It was, of course (with hindsight), the perfect tag to cover what I'm dealing with: my own music (which is now ongoing with the resurrection of E.Y.E) and a large mixed-bag back catalogue of Fiend Recordings stuff, which demanded painstaking attention and restoration to get fit for purpose due to disc rot having set in to many of my masters (and backups). But, the primary purpose of setting up the channel was to give a home and opportunity of appreciation for said tape. The secondary purpose was to provide a 'cinema' for my old film making efforts (and subsequently, new ones). It was only a tertiary purpose (just a sideline in my mind at the time of setting it up) to give hearing space to some of my old music (and others who had appeared on our old label).
    This has all since developed into a veritable flooding of YouTube with old Fiend stuff, many now with links to an Eye Fiend bandcamp. The Bandcamp is so far progressing well, with a large (and still expanding) selection of Fiend items and some of my own recent sounds coming soon.
    I'll use this blog to try to keep anyone interested in all this informed as much as I can about what is going on, new things on the way, the odd physical item available for purchase and perhaps bits and pieces of archive material etc.etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment